Boy oh boy, I do miss marathoning...
After a final today, BUSA 508, it is time for me to recall some marathon tricks to recovery- I am going to need it!
1) Baby food (Drink within 15 minutes of crossing the finish line) - I usually had a soy based baby food in a can. Good fats, potassium, minerals, high calorie liquid for quick easy absorption.
2) Beer (Drink within 60 minutes of crossing the finish line) - Beer is bad, as it hinders recovering from dehydration, but it changes your physiology, so I had one within an hour of crossing.
3) Massage, baths, epsom salts, a535, ointments (Within 1 day of crossing the finish line) I would treat my muscles with everything that would increase circulation and encourage cellular level cleansing from the exertion and caloric consumption.
4) Banana, Avocado, Broccoli, olive oil, hemp seeds- lots, raw, in a bowl. Nothing fancy. Easy to digest nutrient packed food with lots of good fats and calcium. I avoided processed foods, kept to my vegan diet as much as I could, and drank lots of water.
5) KEY- think about the next event- book it!
So, post exam, this is on my plate- except the baby food. Lets not get crazy, it was just an exam.
Well, Dieter, whats the big deal? Who cares? and so what?
I used these tricks to get to 33 marathons, 6 in one year (plus a sprint triathlon and an obstacle course race that year too) and now I am closing in on my MBA. So, it is a big deal- your attitude determines your altitude- and each routine helps. And if this doesn't help you with a marathon or a tough study schedule, you can still apply it to improve your daily health.
Dieter Wentzel, CPHR